Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Down Mauchline Way

I wish I'd researched this place before going I only had a rough idea where it was and had to follow my nose to find it. If I had I'd have realised that there are over 200 cup and ring markings unique to the area. Dating to between Neolithic to early Bronze age carved over a time-scale of around a 1000 years. The markings should have eroded long ago being carved in sandstone but the sandstone in the Mauchline |Gorge in an unusual "hard sandstone". They lay undiscovered until 1986 hard to believe especially considering the site is regarded as one of the top 10 most important "Cup and Ring" sites in Britain. Looks like a good excuse to head back on another shoot :)

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

The blue water is unbelievable!

Mark Alan Meader said...

I agree.. leaving the blue cast in the water was the right choice here.

donnie said...

stunning dreamy shot :)

The Nowhere Button